The Bell Inn has a history of smuggling activity. When William of Orange was en route
to Holland, he described St Nicholas as having a smuggling fraternity. A tunnel reputedly
led from the pub’s cellar to the church, where contraband was discovered in the storeroom,
the key to which was in the possession of the landlord of the Bell.
By 1777 the pub was leased to the Cobb Brewery in Margate. In 1798 Cobb acquired
the freehold from the Bridges family.
Over the centuries the Bell Inn has been used for all sorts of parish business, from
auctions to vestry meetings and even coroner’s inquests.
These days, Marian, Danny and Sarah will welcome you to the Bell Inn with an excellent
range of beers and freshly cooked food food.
The Quiz starts at around 8.30pm on alternate Thursdays.
The Bell Inn has a relatively modern frontage, but the interior cross-beams give
away the Tudor origins. The earliest reference to the Inn is 1622, when the landlord
was William Chambers.