The village of St Nicholas at Wade is situated near the North Kent coast, roughly
mid way between Canterbury and Margate, at the intersection of the A28 and the A299
The village earned its name by being at a point where it was possible
to wade across the Wantsum Channel (which once made Thanet a true island) to the
mainland. As a result of land reclamation, the channel has since become little more
than a drainage ditch, flowing into the sea between Reculver and Minnis Bay.
at Wade now has a population of around 1000. There are several Dutch gabled houses.
The church dates from the 13th century, with a 14th century tower that is still a
landmark for shipping.
The Bell Inn and the Sun Inn face each other in the heart of
the village, near to the Post Office and Village Hall.